01246 261915
What Licence Do You Need To Operate A Crane

What Licence Do You Need To Operate A Crane?

The licence required to operate a crane depends on where it is being used, if the crane is to be situated on private land it does not need a crane licence.

If you require the use of a crane situated on a public highway/road, then you will require the permission of the local council under the Highways Act 1980, section 169.

You can hire the use of cranes from crane operating companies like us here at Altida.

If you aren’t sure whether you need a crane for your project, Altida will come to your site and do a free site survey and quotation. We will also recommend the correct equipment for you and process your booking, so you can relax and get on with one of your other important jobs!

We have some of the best Appointed Persons in the industry, so we are able to draw up comprehensive lift plans and guide you through where to rig a mobile crane in the safest and most professional way possible.

Using A Crane On A Public Road

So, if your crane use is entirely on private land then no license is required, we recommend you contact us to make sure you hire the best and most suitable for the work. However, as mentioned above, if your project requires you to drive a crane on a public road then you will need a crane license. So, let us look at what is needed in more detail below.


To drive any kind of crane on the road you will need a driver’s licence. The type of crane you can drive on the road depends on the weight of the crane.

For a mobile crane weighing between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes a Category C1 Driving Licence is required

For a crane weighing over 7.5 tonnes a Category C Licence is required.

How Much Does A Crane Licence Cost?

Currently the cost for a crane licence is around £280, although this may vary from council to council so check with your local authority before applying. The process should take 15 days and the licence is valid for 7 days (this can be extended).


17+, UK Citizen, hold a Full Driving Licence (C1 or C LGV)

Qualifications Needed For A Crane Licence

Hold a Full Driving Licence (C1 or C LGV), CPCS) card, college qualification in plant operations. For more information on the different types of driving licences available in the U.K click here.

What Else Do I Need To Know About Crane Licences?

So, to apply for a licence you will need to contact your local authority (find out who your local authority is using this handy postcode checker here.) to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements and have all the relevant documentation. You will also need a site plan (to scale) of the crane’s position and the over-sail area (any area that the crane may swing outside of your work area) with dimensions.

The person applying for the crane licence must be the person who ensures the conditions of the licence are met. Alternatively, if you choose to use a company, then like Altida they must have, and maintain, public liability insurance of £5 million and the crane operator must be accredited.

The applicant must also ensure the following:

  • The safety of the general public. This is always the first consideration when operating a crane.
  • Public liability insurance that covers the public highway must be obtained.
  • The crane must always be attended and moved from the highway/road when not in use.
  • The working area must be sufficiently coned and barriered off to protect pedestrians.
  • The holder of the crane licence must inform residents and businesses in advance of any work carried out.
  • Access must always be available for vehicles and pedestrians (unless there is a road closure in force)

Crane operator cabin image fro blog What Licence Do You Need To Operate A Crane

Guidelines For Using A Crane On A Road

There are some strict guidelines for using a crane on a road, including:

They must always be banked.

Overhead wires and cables must be avoided.

If the crane is going to be used at night, then the structure of the working area needs to be well lit.

The visibility of junctions, road signs, traffic lights or street furniture (for example, lamp posts) must not be obstructed.

A 1.2 metre pedestrian walkway must always be provided.

On the day the licence expires the crane must be removed.

The holder of the crane licence is responsible for any damage to the road.

Any access to premises cannot be obstructed, unless you have the owner’s permission.

Get In Touch With The Experts

If you aren’t sure what mobile crane to hire for the job, we will come on to your site and do a free site survey and quotation. We will recommend the correct equipment for you and process your booking, so you can relax and get on with one of your other jobs.

ALTIDA Crane Hire take pride in offering a competitive yet excellent service with fantastic operators and a world class fleet.

All our crane operators are trained within CPCS or NPORS criteria and are some of the best in the business at what they do.

Whether you require CPA crane hire or an all-in-one contract lift service, we at ALTIDA Crane Hire ensure you get an unrivalled service from top to bottom. It’s what we do! Get in touch here.

Share This

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Call Now Button